Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Poverty in Jamaica


I left Jamaica in 1959 at the tender age of 15 years old and after fifty years in the United States, I have returned for my remaining fifteen. I have been a hospital administrator, college professor, lawyer, psychologist and most notably, for the last 21 years, the CEO of the Association of Black Cardiologists living in Atlanta, Georgia.

The selfish part of me returned to Jamaica to enjoy the unparalleled quality of life that is only available on these shores: the pride I feel when our fellow citizens excel, great golf and caddies, old time religion, fabulous restaurants and food, music and dancing, our unique culture, wonderful hospitality, the ocean, sunshine and rain. The unselfish part of me wants to make a difference and leave the island better than I found it in 1943. My sense is, however, that we have gone backwards.

I am simply appalled at the lack of access to the means of productive assets---loss of hope and prospect leading to a loss of the spirit by the bulk of our people and wonder if there is a national imperative to cure poverty. I find it unacceptable that a privileged few continue to accumulate excess goods while masses of people are living in conditions of misery at the very lowest level of subsistence. The richest 1% owns more wealth than the poorest 90%. Something is terribly wrong when the elite of Jamaica are over-consumers while millions are destitute. This economic order adversely affects everyone. I have not met anyone who is not troubled by the decline in moral standards and our economic challenges. More provision must be made for the material security of all our citizens.

In the United States, I was a Lyndon Johnson democrat. I was drawn to the idea that widespread poverty is un-necessary. If a country is to prosper, every citizen must own something and have a stake in it. Johnson’s war on poverty made it possible for a large disenfranchised segment of the United States population to maintain their own homes, have access to jobs but most importantly to retain their own business through small business loans.

I am in no way proposing that we combat poverty by redistributing past wealth accumulations. Curing poverty can, however, be accomplished through expansion of future ownership and profit sharing opportunities with the less privileged. Technology is the most important opportunity for creating new wealth. Let us develop this potential and share it with the poor.

If we are responsible stewards who are faithful to the mission of enhancing and protecting the well being of all our citizens, we should be investing in all citizens not just some of our citizens. We should be about creating conditions under which we can all prosper. The Jamaica Government must do more to empower our people to develop and enjoy financial independence. Our current policies, presently conceived and executed, appear to achieve the opposite. Every Jamaican citizen is entitled to equal access to institutions, laws, and other “social goods” that will empower every motivated individual to acquire and share in the productive wealth of the country. People are born not only with mouths that need to be fed, but also with hands that can produce, and minds that can create and innovate.

What motivated Lyndon Johnson was realizing that if citizens cannot participate in the wealth of the country through legitimate channels, they will find a way to survive---one way or another. More importantly, wealth creation opportunities for everyone honour our humanity.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Doc
    Again I thoroughly embraced all that you have commented on above. But here is my problem. I birthed and strong interest in my nation and my people about 5 years ago. What is my role...where are we going?...what do we want?...how can we have it? The 12 months in the Netherlands are a very important part of answering those questions because in trying to answer those questions i realized i did not have the skill set to address them. However in my thinking I came to one conclusion. The politicians are politicians and if you know the story of the scorpion and the frog..(one of my all time favorites) then you'll understand when i say i am not in the least bit interested in investing any energy in how to stir them, how to awaken them, how to convert them. My interest is the people. It is them I wish to stir, to awaken and to convert to the simple idea that is “Never doubt that a small group of citizens can change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has.” Margaret Meade.
    History (Obama is an exception and maybe Lyndon Johnson who you've now inspired me to read about, and perhaps King Hezekiah back in BC times) shows that politicians just don't get up and say "Enough! My people deserve a better ruler than I" No its the people who say Enough!!! and they lobby persistently and protest resolutely for change until the balance of power shifts and the people realize where the power is and always has been and will be...with them. But we still keep thinking of ourselves...I don't have the time, it doesn't affect me, what if I lose my job, what difference can I make, what if they laugh at me, what if no one supports me, and I can go on ad nauseum....because I have an exhaustive reference list of these excuses that i draw on...but that will change.
    We must put our hearts and heads together, find a plan and stick to it come what may. So that the Govt you speak of will realize that we gave them that job, pay their salaries and have now prepared a job description that will provide those social goods and empower the wonderfully complex wonderfully complicated people known to the world as The Jamaicans.
    Thanks for letting me purge…again
    God Bless

    ReplyDelete