Saturday, February 13, 2010

Response to My Blog

Dear Dr. Kong:

I am sorry for Jamaicans who, unlike yourself cannot play a round of golf with friends or jump up from their seat at Sabina Park when we lick a six, or afford ackee and saltfish. For them, life in Jamaica is sheer hell, and they stand to lose their lives if they venture into the wrong neighbourhood, so many of the kids cannot attend school.

Their natural talent is to forage, some of them in the city dump for any delectables thrown out from the homes of the well-to-do, or learn to clean and load a gun by the time they are six. And because there is no proper sanitation, they feel they have no choice but to dispose of their body waste in plastic bags and throw them over the fence into the neighbor's yard or in the nearest gully. These are those in Jamaica's hell, dying to get a visa and escape…
Eliana

Dear Eliana: Thank you for your response. I readily confess that I am blessed. I was fortunate to grow up in an incredibly safe and nurturing environment in St. Elizabeth---a childhood full of adventure, friends, love, song, dance, poetry, fun and games. I was raised by an entire village who love me to this day because, in addition to being able to play golf and cheer for Jamaican, I have been able to bring new housing as well as support for our school and churches. This community of farmers instilled in me the capacity for self improvement which propelled me when my brother and I joined my mother in America.

I was fortunate enough to receive a wonderful education and went on to develop an interesting career helping to stem the tide of premature death from heart attacks and strokes. My education also provided financial security for myself, my supportive wife and the education of our children. In this moment of my life I am able to enjoy good health, a decent golf game and happy grandchildren. Given the social skills and work ethic I learned at my Granny’s knees, I adopted to my new environment in the United States effortlessly along with the “Aim high and smile” mantra that was posted behind the headmaster at Springfield School.

My motivation to return to Jamaica upon my retirement can be summed up in three distinct areas. First, my wife and I want to give something back now that we don’t have to be away from the island to survive or thrive. Second, we want to selfishly enjoy all the sweet fruits of Jamaica; and Thirdly, to serve as a “canary in the coalmine” for expats who may be contemplating coming back. A visa does not cure crime, poverty or hopelessness. Only people with vision can.

I am not blinded to our woes: Our economy is in shambles but we have been here before and will get through this; murder and mayhem are out of control; abuse of children is an everyday occurrence and they deserve mentors who can protect and motivate them. The failure of our educational system to eliminate illiteracy continues to fuel high unemployment. The life you painted is an accurate picture for too many. However, I don’t believe life is any better for people with a visa and no education. Educating everybody is one of the keys to uplift ourselves. We can either be part of the problem or part of the solution. I have returned to be part of the solution.

I regret very much that so many people respond to my return with: “Everybody is trying to leave and you coming back. Are you mad?” Jamaica is a jewel that has lost some of its luster. As I work to improve what I can, I will continue to enjoy my golf and shout with glee when we lick a six. I will continue to advocate for all of us to stop looking outside for our salvation and turn inward and develop what we have. Won’t you join me?
Basil Waine Kong

No comments:

Post a Comment