Thursday, May 13, 2010

Sermons From My Mount (High Horse) Part 2

Forget me not, O Gentle Savior
Basil Waine Kong

I believe that human beings share a need to be a thought in God’s mind and to be the object of His affection or his attention. The song: “Pass me not, O Gentle Savior written by Fanny Crosby, in 1868, perfectly represent this sentiment:

Pass me not, O gentle Savior,
Hear my humble cry;
While on others Thou art calling,
Do not pass me by.

Savior, Savior,
Hear my humble cry;
While on others Thou art calling,
Do not pass me by.

Let me at Thy throne of mercy
Find a sweet relief,
Kneeling there in deep contrition;
Help my unbelief.

Trusting only in Thy merit,
Would I seek Thy face;
Heal my wounded, broken spirit,
Save me by Thy grace.

Thou the Spring of all my comfort,
More than life to me,
Whom have I on earth beside Thee?
Whom in Heav’n but Thee?

He may punish and discipline us, only let Him not forget me or abandon me. Sometimes He takes a crow bar upside our heads, But in his testing, His sentence is never more than we can bear and He does it out of His great love for us.

Repentance and redemption are important concepts in Christianity. As human beings, we are destined to sin but a great renewal can be achieved by the miracle of repentance when we can start anew with a clean slate, a clean heart, clean hands and a clean mind. However, repentance requires honesty, truthfulness, remorse and responsibility. If it is coerced or done out of expected ritual or conformity, though not wasted, is not redemptive and does not carry the cleansing benefit and may even cause more conflict and misery. There is no return to peace without the readiness to examine ourselves for earnest, honest repentance before God. The harm we commit against others and ourselves is extinguished, transformed into salvation.

As we go through the cycle of sin, redemption, transformation and rebirth, through forgiving guidance from God, we become better and better, more and more enlightened, holier and holier with the goal of becoming one with God.

Leviticus 19:2 “You shall be holy, for I the Lord your God am holy.” Woe to us if we cease praying and God should forget us. We long for God. Emotional satisfaction is impossible without Him. Shouldn’t you want to talk with Him often if only to remind him that we are here. He acts with mercy and love.

As the praises go up, the blessings come down.

No comments:

Post a Comment